Thursday, December 27, 2007

He decided he didn't want to be left out....
and I'm so glad he did.
We had a great Christmas.
I'll expound later.
We also got a bad case of the flu.
Aches, and pains, fevers, congestion, dizziness, headaches.
I feel like I want to
lie down and D I E!
So yesterday I was so happy when Steve got home before dinner needed to be made.
I wanted this creamy chicken soup that I remembered being so good.
But all I had was a scribbled down recipe on the back of a candle receipt that I had purchased years ago.
Steve wanted the chicken wild rice soup. Which is also so yummy.
I met him at his truck and in a scratchy, gruff voice asked him to please go to the store to get the missing ingredients.
Since he was so willing to go, I let him have his choice and it hit the spot.
This recipe was given to me by my sister, Candace in 2002.
How would I know the year you ask?
Well I have this great way of organizing my recipes.
She emailed it to me and I keep everything on its original paper: scribbled on a receipt, grocery list, printed off the computer on an 81/2x11 piece of paper, and then I just throw it up on the top shelf of my cabinet. I am a MESS!
On to the recipe
5 1/3 c. water
1 pkg. long grain & wild rice mix
1 envelope dried chicken noodle soup mix
1 celery rib, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/3 c. onion, chopped
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
In large saucepan, combine water, rice with contents of seasoning packet and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 10 min. Stir in celery, carrot & onion. Cover and simmer for 10 min. Stir in chicken, soup and chicken. Cook 8 minutes longer or until rice & vegetables are tender. Yield: 5 servings

7 comments:

Amber said...

Kade is so cute! And I'm so sorry you all are feeling sick. I think it makes it a whole lot worse when mom feels crappy. We love that soup at our house. Something that EVERYONE will eat.

Stephanie said...

I hope you feel better soon.

Heather said...

I hope you feel better!!!! The Mom being sick is ALWAYS the worst. Especially when it's Christmas time. Get well!!!

Carol said...

Ahhh Man! What a drag. Hope your feeling better.

The soup sounds yummy. I'll have to try it for sure!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kade has his own way of doing things doesnt he! Love him! Im sorry your sick! hope you fell better soon!

g said...

I hope you guys feel better soon! It's not fair when moms get sick!

Jen@eighteen25 said...

hope you're feeling better soon!!

thanks for sharing the recipe and that sweet picture!