Monday, December 31, 2007

Still Learning




So it's been said that the best way to learn is through your mistakes.
Well......HELLO how many mistakes do I have to make before I get it?
My sister Candace had mentioned that her in laws wanted a family shot while everyone was together for Christmas.
I said oh scary....and that was the end of that.
Very last minute, they wanted me to come.
I made TONS of mistakes.
First of all doing a large group is HARD.
Top shot was the best I got, even though baby Claire is squirming out of Dylan's lap.
So things I learned:
1. Take tons of shots of each pose so that there is a guaranteed keeper. Think you have enough? Take 5 more just to be sure.
2. Pay attention to little things....like who is slouching, or where so and so's arm is.
3. Be more decisive.
4. Be more aggressive about location. We positioned everyone on the grass, I liked the closeness of that pose better and there were more to choose from. HOWEVER, I totally blew out one sister because she was in the sun and the ones in the back were underexposed. The middle was perfect. I should have moved everyone to more even lighting. Would have had much better results.
5. Quit being so dang hard on myself......I am not a professional.
6. Be thankful for the experience, LEARN from it, move on and do better next time.

8 comments:

{Erica} said...

top shot is a nice one...squirming will ALWAYS happen if you have kids in the picture! I acutally like to have kids squirming as long as they are not blurry...it shows their age and their personality. I think you did an awesome job!

ps I got my info on logging into wendy's forum today! I am sooo excited! Do you get to join in the forum? Are you taking her class?

Amber said...

Yes....stop being so hard on yourself. I like them.

Heather said...

Thanks girls.
Erica: I was thinking about you today. Yes I am taking her continuing education class so we will not be on the same board. She has individual boards for each class and just keeps it to those members of the class so it is a smaller group. But I will see you on the other side in the alumni forum!
You are going to LOVE it!

Candace said...

Heather!! I think they look great. you are going to have that kind of stuff whenever you have a bigger group. there is no way you can operate the camera & monitor everybody's movements at the same time. I think they group shot is really very good & I know Stacey will love it. thanks again.

{Erica} said...

So she has an alumni board? I won't be able to access it until after this class then right since I technically won't be an alumni until after I complete a class right? I seriously can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I love them. Good Job! We are always our own worst critics. Just chill!

chanel said...

learning is so hard, but I think what you showed are GREAT!! They are such a cute little family!!! She's so lucky to have such a great photographer for a sister!

Linde said...

You did great! You always do!